Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I Did In Fact Marry My Soul Mate

Hey there, Jeff here. There was an article on KSL yesterday that was making the social media rounds called "I Didn't Marry My Soul Mate." If you haven't read or have no desire to read the article, I'll give you the rundown. The author, Katie Lee, shared how she met her soul mate that created fireworks and butterflies. Her soul mate, however, sent her a "Dear Jane" while she was serving her mission and he married someone else. She came home, dated someone and got married, but she claimed there was never a spark. They got married because it "worked."

Well, I am so grateful I married my soul mate. I do not mean to sound cliche, but it is true. To justify my claim that she is my soul mate I will tell you why. Discretion: this is only my side of the story.

It all started one early morning on the first day of an economics class. This was no ordinary class, in fact it was my second time taking the course because I wanted to improve my grade from the first time around. This is the only class I ever retook, opening the door for fate to happen. Per usual, I scanned the classroom to see if there were any good looking girls. There was this beautiful girl sitting in the front row while I of course always took the back row seat. This girl wasn't just beautiful, but gave me a feeling I had never had before. I knew there was something different about this girl, but I wasn't sure what it was at the time.

It was a smaller class because seriously, who signs up for a 7:30am Econ class? Our professor had us introduce ourselves and tell the class something unique about us. I'm sure I shared the normal "I've had stitches in my armpit and foot," but this beautiful girl shared that she was only 5'0 tall. Okay, there was no way I could date this girl because there would be over a foot difference in height. However, there was no shaking off the feeling I had. I had to try and impress her. One class we were learning about something Econ related and I volunteered to eat as many Hostess cupcakes as I could. There were three volunteers who were in front of the class to see who could eat them the fastest. I caught her staring at me and smiling while I scarfed the treats only to find out she voted for the other guy. My theory is she didn't want to make her attraction to me too obvious.

Still, I had no idea what was different about her. I remember passing her on the stairs on my way to my class. She smiled and mouthed "hi" creating a clan of butterflies in my stomach.

The next step was how to talk to her. I'm not typically a shy person, but had no idea how to start up a conversation. I found out her name was Bobbie so I went to work searching the best source to stalk a person, Facebook. I found her and wrote her a message. Thinking I was clever, I asked her if she could help me study for class. We exchanged numbers and started texting regularly.

Come to find out we were in the same singles ward. Fate once again.

At the time we seemed to be in different places in our lives and didn't think it could workout. Somehow all the reasons to be apart went away. To reference that article again, in the comment section someone said he didn't believe in soul mates he and his wife just "worked." She didn't try to change him and he didn't try to change her. To me that sounds more like a business contract than a marriage. Bobbie and I grow together all the time and I'm a better person because of her and hope I've made her a better person too.

I'm not saying our marriage has been perfect. It has been far from. If we were to write a book about some of the experiences we've had, some might mistakenly place the book in the fiction section because it would seem so unbelievable.

I never believed in the phrase "when you know, you know" until I met Bobbie. I knew I loved her the second I saw her from the back row of the classroom. I didn't know I knew, but at the same time I knew.

I love her and this is why she is my soul mate.




1 comment: